According to industry insiders, every second wafer manufactured industrially worldwide is baked using a Franz Haas wafer machine from Bühler. As a result, all customised plants must be highly flexible and, above all, meet all country-specific safety standards. That’s why the Austrian wafer machine specialist relies on the burner version of the configurable safe small controller PNOZmulti 2 to safely control and monitor its ovens. After all, the TÜV-certified burner block in the software tool PNOZmulti Configurator is flexible and can be used worldwide for a variety of customised machine configurations.
Bake delicious wafers safely, all over the world!
The burner among controllers
PNOZmulti 2 carries out functional safety and burner control tasks as a complete solution in a single system; these are tasks that were previously performed by separate burner controllers. That’s quite a challenge, as monitoring involves a complex control sequence: At the heart of every wafer production line is the oven, which may be up to 35 m long depending on the product and plant configuration. The heating is provided by gas-fired long tube burners. The burner controller's most important task is to monitor the extinguishing of the flame and if necessary to interrupt the gas supply immediately in order to avoid an explosion in a worst case scenario.
Some older burner controllers without bus capability have already been replaced by PNOZmulti 2 – another application area for Bühler because, as a modular system and with wide-ranging configuration software, PNOZmulti 2 is flexible and adaptable in terms of hardware and software.
The forming process for a typical wafer - example ice cream cones: The dough is poured onto individual baking plates that circulate through the oven at up to 0.5 m/s.
At the end of the process the wafer is shaped into a pointed cone. The burner controller from the safe small controller PNOZmulti 2 monitors the baking process, regulating the gas supply and therefore the flames.
Production lines for the most diverse wafer varieties – flat and hollow wafers, wafer rolls, ice cream cones, waffles and wafer snacks – are developed at the Wafer Innovation Center at Bühler.
Benefits at a glance
- Connection to existing automation environments: Thanks to the openness of PNOZmulti 2, Bühler's automatic wafer baking ovens can be used worldwide
- Burner type also suitable for retrofit: thanks to the configuration software, the hardware and software on older burner controllers without bus capability are flexible and adaptable
- Suitable for international use due to TÜV-certified burner software block
“Using Pilz technology to implement all of the safety technology, completely independent from the standard automation, has many advantages for us. But what’s most important is that we can standardise use of the technology worldwide, because Pilz takes care of international certification, including for the burner management.”
About the Bühler Group
Company founder Franz Haas invented the first wafer machine as early as the end of the 1940s. Since 2018 the company has belonged to the Swiss Bühler Group, with subsidiaries around the globe. 700 people are employed in the wafers area of the Consumer Foods division at the Leobendorf site, working in development, design and production, as well as sales, service, maintenance and spare parts management.
Our products in the application
Pilz GmbH & Co. KG
Telephone: +49 711 3409-0
Telephone: +49 711 3409 444
- United States (toll-free): +1 877-PILZUSA (745-9872)
- Canada: +1 888-315-PILZ (315-7459)
- Brazil: + 55 11 4942-7032
- Mexico: +52 55 5572 1300
- Portugal: +351 229 407 594
- Italy: +39 0362 1826711
- Ireland: +353 21 4804983
- Spain: +34 938497433
- Finland: +358 10 3224030 / +45 74436332
- Switzerland: +41 62 889 79 32
- Turkey: +90 216 5775552
- Belgium: +32 9 321 75 70
- Sweden: +46 300 13990 / +45 74436332
- Austria: +43 1 7986263-444
- Russia: +7 495 6654993
- Denmark: +45 74436332
- Netherlands: +31 347 320477
- United Kingdom: +44 1536 462203
- France (toll-free): +33 3 88104000
- Germany: +49 711 3409 444
- Thailand: +66 210 54613
- Taiwan: +886 2 25700068
- New Zealand: +64 9 6345350
- Japan: +81 45 471 2281
- Australia (toll-free): +61 3 9560 0621 / 1300 723 334
- South Korea: +82 31 778 3390
- Singapore: +65 6829 2920
- China: +86 400-088-3566