The Austrian parquet manufacturer Scheucher plans sustainably, and not just when it comes to maintaining its plant. It's the reason why the company completely retrofitted one of its existing milling machines – the aim being a universally sustainable safety solution. Scheucher was convinced by Pilz's holistic approach: a comprehensive service from safety-related plant assessment to risk analysis, through to system implementation and verification.
Sustainable safety solution perfect for parquet manufacturer
Safe, industry-specific solution
Originally only the milling machine's conveyor belt was to be exchanged "with minimum disruption". However, the controller too no longer conformed to current standards, so Scheucher opted for a comprehensive overhaul in the spirit of sustainability: retrofit instead of buying new! The universal solution approach also had to consider the individual challenges of the woodworking industry: the increased fire risk due to increased sparks; the machine must be safe and accessible at all times. With the pushbutton unit PITgatebox and the safety gate system PSENmlock, the danger zone on the milling machine is now closed off, but the interlock has been installed in the opposite direction – the machine remains accessible. This industry-specific solution is supplemented by additional light curtains PSENopt II. The retrofit saves around 80 per cent of energy on top: where 10 motors used to idle alongside, now only those that are actively needed are running.
Benefits at a glance
- One-stop retrofit – from plant assessment and risk analysis through to system implementation and verification.
- Industry-specific solution: the interlock is installed the other way round. So the machine is accessible at all times.
- Sustainable benefit: the conversion saves around 80 per cent of energy on the milling machine.
"We could also have commissioned four or five different providers for the respective subtasks. But we wanted a single contact, a one-stop shop. That relationship of trust is important. Often you get zero support. You read the operating manual and mostly work it out for yourself. So we are quite certain we will work with Pilz on the next project."
About Scheucher Holzindustrie GmbH
Parquet floors from oak, cherry or walnut, among them some quite special product creations, are the trademark of Scheucher Parkett. With 250 employees and a 100 year tradition, the Austrian family business from southern Styria has been producing exclusive parquet floors for the worldwide market for several decades, including for hotel suites, lofts, restaurants, bars, as well as business and conference architectures. As a manufacturer of natural, long-lasting products, the top priority for Scheucher is environmental protection and resource conservation.
Our products in the application
Pilz GmbH & Co. KG
Telephone: +49 711 3409-0
Telephone: +49 711 3409 444
- Mexico: +52 55 5572 1300
- United States (toll-free): +1 877-PILZUSA (745-9872)
- Brazil: + 55 11 4942-7032
- Canada: +1 888-315-PILZ (315-7459)
- Turkey: +90 216 5775552
- France (toll-free): +33 3 88104000
- Denmark: +45 74436332
- Portugal: +351 229 407 594
- Austria: +43 1 7986263-444
- Spain: +34 938497433
- United Kingdom: +44 1536 462203
- Switzerland: +41 62 889 79 32
- Finland: +358 10 3224030 / +45 74436332
- Netherlands: +31 347 320477
- Italy: +39 0362 1826711
- Belgium: +32 9 321 75 70
- Russia: +7 495 6654993
- Germany: +49 711 3409 444
- Ireland: +353 21 4804983
- Sweden: +46 300 13990 / +45 74436332
- New Zealand: +64 9 6345350
- Australia (toll-free): +61 3 9560 0621 / 1300 723 334
- Taiwan: +886 2 25700068
- Japan: +81 45 471 2281
- China: +86 400-088-3566
- Singapore: +65 6829 2920
- Thailand: +66 210 54613
- South Korea: +82 31 778 3390