The railway station and signal boxes are where all the threads converge: the process must run smoothly so that trains and passengers arrive at their destination safely and on time. To guarantee this, the Swiss railway pioneer Intelis IED worked with Pilz to develop a module for the safe implementation of shunting operations, based on the automation system PSS 4000-R.
Reliable, remote monitoring of railways
Safe rail operation via remote control
Intelis IED has specialised in the automation of control and safety tasks in rail transport and, in close collaboration with Pilz, has integrated the remote controller INIS-TC on the Montreux Oberland Bernois (MOB) railway line. The remote controller is based on the automation system PSS 4000-R and ensures safe, economical rail operation over the 75 km long stretch. At 17 stations, an integrated interface connects PSS 4000-R to the respective signal box.
The control units PSSuniversal send sensor data from axle counters to the communication server and safety controllers in real time. The new module INIS-PN supplements the safe control and monitoring solution: in the stations at Zweisimmen and Château-d‘Oex, the whole shunting operation can now be controlled remotely from the respective signal box. Dispatchers refer to their screen to see the position and status of points and signals as well as the location of locomotives and trains. They therefore have all sections of the track in their sight and travellers on the MOB arrive at their destination safely and on time!
The benefits at a glance:
- Track sections are monitored safely at all times, as dispatchers receive feedback on the status of rail traffic and signal boxes in real time
- Trains are punctual and there is higher utilisation of the track
- Modernisation measures on the railway line can be implemented in steps in a modular fashion
About Intelis IED
Intelis is an independent division of the IED Group. The company has its headquarters in Vufflens-la-Ville VD and is committed to providing comprehensive service and engineering solutions for railway safety. These include consultation, planning and implementation of system expansions, integration of the latest technologies into existing installations and turnkey project management.
The advantage of the automation system PSS 4000-R from Pilz is that modernisation measures don’t have to be implemented all at once but instead can be implemented in steps in a modular fashion. Even in combination with relay technology that is still in operation. Furthermore, all of the PSS 4000-R modules that we have deployed for tough everyday use have proven to be extremely reliable.
Our system in the application
Pilz GmbH & Co. KG
Telephone: +49 711 3409-0
Telephone: +49 711 3409 444
- United States (toll-free): +1 877-PILZUSA (745-9872)
- Mexico: +52 55 5572 1300
- Brazil: + 55 11 96405-8165
- Canada: +1 888-315-PILZ (315-7459)
- Ireland: +353 21 4804983
- Turkey: +90 216 5775552
- Spain: +34 938497433
- Germany: +49 711 3409 444
- Italy: +39 0362 1826711
- United Kingdom: +44 1536 462203
- Sweden: +46 300 13990 / +45 74436332
- Denmark: +45 74436332
- Switzerland: +41 62 889 79 32
- France (toll-free): +33 3 88104000
- Belgium: +32 9 321 75 70
- Netherlands: +31 347 320477
- Finland: +358 10 3224030 / +45 74436332
- Russia: +7 495 6654993
- Austria: +43 1 7986263-444
- China: +86 400-088-3566
- Australia: +61 3 9560 0621
- Taiwan: +886 2 25700068
- Japan: +81 45 471 2281
- South Korea: +82 31 778 3390
- New Zealand: +64 9 6345350