In cooperation with TÜV NORD, Pilz offers the qualification to become a CMSE – Certified Machinery Safety Expert. The four-day course gives an overall view of the subject of machinery safety and is divided into five modules which convey comprehensive knowledge on and about the machinery lifetime cycle. The CMSE modules are standardised worldwide and are of a uniform level. The concluding TÜV NORD certificate has international validity.
CMSE® - Certified Machinery Safety Expert
Module 1: Introduction to safety
- Introduction to the relevant safety regulations
- Competence and responsibilities
- Introduction to safety management systems
Module 2: Machinery safety
- Legislation relating to the design, manufacture and maintenance of machinery and work equipment
- Conformity requirements and procedures for placing machinery on the market
- Work equipment and workplace regulations
- Taking safety at work into consideration in terms of machines, including ergonomics, noise, vibration and chemical substances
Module 3: Risk assessment
- Risk assessment according to EN ISO 12100 and its application
- Methods for risk assessment using specific examples
- Performing the risk assessment step by step
- Application and usage of further relevant machinery standards within the risk assessment process
- Brief overview of risk reduction after completion of the risk assessment
Module 4: Mechanical safeguards
- International requirements of standards in terms of mechanical safeguards
- Safeguards: Definition, types and examples of applications
- Calculation of safety distances in compliance with EN ISO 13857
Safety components and technologies
- Overview of safety components, requirements and applications
- Specification and use, advantages and disadvantages (e.g. Interlocking devices, light curtains, two-hand control devices)
- Technical and supplementary protective measures (e.g. safety fences, light beam devices, emergency stop command devices)
- Safety relevant applications of control systems
Electrical safety requirements
- A detailed look at EN 60204-1: electrical equipment of plants and machinery
- Considerations of the electrical design, from the infeed up to the proper verification
- Safe operation and maintenance of electrically driven machinery
Module 5: Functional safety of control systems
- Detailed consideration of the requirements of EN ISO 13849
- Specification, draft and validation of functional safety control systems
- Determination of Performance Level (PL) and Safety Integrity Level (SIL) with reference to safety functions
- Choice of architecture using practical examples of implementing categories
- Software lifecycle: requirements and application
- Verification and validation methods
- Introduction to EN IEC 62061
- Practical exercises in PL and SIL validations
Functional safety of fluid engineering
- Requirements of EN ISO 4413 (hydraulic systems) and ISO 4414 (pneumatic systems)
- Required measures for the safe application of hydraulic and pneumatic systems
- Special features of hydraulic and pneumatic components
- Design of safety-relevant parts in fluid engineering according to DIN EN ISO 13849-1
Your best path to qualification:
The seminar includes a multiple choice test. If the test is passed, the participants receive the internationally acknowledged TÜV NORD certificate of CMSE - Certified Machinery Safety Expert, which is valid for 4 years. The one-day recertification extends the validity for another four years.
Detailed information, conditions for taking part and registering can be seen at www.cmse.com. You receive all information on CMSE and you can test your knowledge using the CMSE quiz.
After being issued with their certificates, each CMSE is automatically granted free access to the exclusive CMSE online community:
- Forums that are geared to a specific topic to enhance your specialist knowledge
- Always up-to-date with the latest news about machinery safety
- Exclusive downloads of white papers, for example
Accreditation for the CMSE seminar assumes that you have working experience and a knowledge of the specialist area. Are you unsure about whether your current qualification corresponds to the
required level? Feel free to get in touch with us. We offer you individual consultation and we show you possible alternatives for achieving the qualification level for CECE.
CMSE is the ideal preparation for qualification as CECE - Certified Expert in CE Marking.
Benefits to you
- Use the internationally recognised TÜV NORD certificate as a benefit for your company – but also for your career.
- Become a recognised machinery safety expert at your workplace.
- Certification in just four days