By May 2021 the safety requirements on collaborative robot systems in accordance with ISO 10218-1 and ISO 10218-2 must have been revised. Pilz contributes actively to the revision of the robot safety standards.
11 Sep 2018
Revision of the ISO safety standard for industrial robots
The safety requirements on collaborative robot systems in accordance with ISO 10218-1 and ISO 10218-2 have not yet been described comprehensively. The safety requirements have been developed further as part of the Technical Specification ISO/TS 15066. These contents are partly included in the revision of the two standards and/or they are supplemented there. By May 2021 we expect a new version of ISO 10218-1 and ISO 10218-2 .
Pilz is a member in the international technical committee ISO/TC 299 "Robotics", workgroup WG 3 "Industrial safety". Together with several members, Pilz works actively on the revision of the robotics safety standards. In the beginning of June 2018, the technical committee met in Kyoto (Japan) for a work meeting.
There are many topics and requirements that have to be discussed as part of the revision. This is a short overview:
- Creating a list with all the relevant safety functions (e.g. safe stop, safe reduced speed etc.) and specification of minimum requirements in accordance with ISO 13849 / IEC 62061 on the relevant safety functions (the safe stop must have dual-channel design, for example)
- The development of more specific safety requirements in the range of brakes
- More exact requirement specification for applications with types of collaboration in accordance with ISO TS 15066 (Examples: Hand guiding, safety-related stop, speed and distance monitoring and the power and force limitation)
- Acceptance and revision of biomechanical limit values for power and force limitation and for quasi-statical and transient contacts from the ISO TS 15066
- The development of safety requirements for mobile robots
- Application and detailing of safety requirements of grippers/gripper systems (based on the technical report ISO/TR 20218-1)
About ISO 10218
The ISO 10218 is the central safety standard for industrial robots. It consists of two parts: The ISO 10218-1 describes the safety requirements for the robot manufacturer. The ISO 10218-2 describes the safety requirements for the robot integrator.