During the course of a recent lecture to the Health and Safety Lawyers Association of Ireland, Adrian Brennan, the legal advisor to the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement (ODCE) stated that Company directors convicted by the Circuit Court of an indictable health and safety offence are automatically disqualified from acting as directors or being involved in the management of companies.
Currently 2,300 + persons are disqualified from acting as directors of companies and over 800 are restricted.
Mr. Brennan advised that if a company director has been convicted of the offence, they cannot be involved at management level or at director level for a period of 5 years.
As an employer, you are required to conduct Risk Assessments and develop a Safety Statement for your workplace according to the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005. In order to prepare a Safety Statement it is necessary that the organisation undertake a Workplace Risk Assessment of all activities in the workplace. The new General Application Regulations SI 299 of 2007 re-enforce this with further measures that need to be considered.
What We Do
Pilz also have the technical knowledge and a deep understanding of standards and codes of practice in order to facilitate with the development of recommendations suitable to your workplace environment. Our extensive knowledge of the legislative responsibilities of employers ensures that we conduct Workplace Assessments that take into account the following:
- Identification of all hazards in the workplace
- Assessment of the risks associated with those hazards taking account of the likelihood and severity of injury associated with the hazard
- Evaluation of risks is undertaken taking in to account the current controls in place
- Additional controls are recommended where required in order to ensure that risks are managed effectively
- Achievement of improvement through the recommendations given
- Demonstration of compliance with regulations
Pilz can remove the burden of the requirement of a competent person, as Pilz have the core competencies and legislative knowledge to perform your Workplace Assessment and ensure that your organisations core operations continue to be your primary concern.